Wednesday 3 June 2015

Vintage patterns

Do you love vintage clothes? Do you find yourself scanning the internet for vintage sewing patterns? Well look no further. I have stumbled across an easy and cheap way of buying vintage patterns - second hand stores. I don't often have time to look through second hand stores, but I was looking for books by a particular author and thought I would look in a large Lifeline store (which is a second hand charity store - in Australia). Not only did I find some books, but I also came across a box of gems - some old sewing patterns. I bought the following patterns for $1 each -


 
Knitwit - Skirt pattern with variations



I have since learnt that Knitwit patterns are patterns for stretch materials. However, I still think I can use the pattern to make these skirts in material other than stretch material. Well, I hope so. Let me know if you have used a Knitwit pattern - I would love any advice.
 
Simplicity 8623 - pants

 
I thought I could make use of this Simplicity pattern (8623) to make firmer fitting pants (with a floral material) and also the loose fitting pants. I have recently completed a short pattern making course, which will definitely come in handy for altering this patterns for fit and variations.
 
Now the BEST place where I found vintage patterns and old designer patterns by Calvin Klein, was at a large antique centre in Brisbane, Australia. Unfortunately, I did not have time to go through the patterns in detail and to buy up big, but I have made a permanent mental note for the future. If you live in Brisbane and want the details, just email me or comment on this post. If you don't live in Brisbane have a hunt at your local antique centre for any hidden treasures. 
 
Let me know where you buy your vintage or second hand patterns. Post your comments below or email me at offyousew@gmail.com with your pictures and I will share them on my blog.  
 


1 comment:

  1. I LOVE vintage patterns! I recently was given a stack of patterns owned by my Great Grandmother. The oldest is from 1923!! I have a 1939 sewing book which is just amazing! When I make something from one of these patterns I will post it on my blog: www.thetallmamastyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete