Friday 19 June 2015

Lauren Guthrie - Simple Sleeveless Top

I have almost finished my Simple Sleeveless Top by Lauren Guthrie. I would have finished it earlier but life has been so busy lately. So where am I at? Well I have just finished making my continuous binding, by following Lauren's instructions in her book (mentioned in an earlier post). I decided to make my binding using the same material as my top. You can make it in a contrasting material if you like, which is lovely for making a delicate feature on your top. 
 
In Lauren's instructions she suggests cutting a square of material (50cm x 50cm). Unfortunately, I had to adjust my square size down to 40cm x 40cm, as I didn't have enough material. It doesn't make a difference, it just means that the length of continuous binding will be slightly shorter. Then, once you have cut out the square from your binding material, the square is cut diagonally.
 
 
 
You then stitch the triangles together using a 1cm seam allowance. It is important to note that the edges of the triangles must overlap each other slightly at each end.
 

The seam is then pressed open. Then using a chalk pencil or temporary fabric marker, mark evenly spaced lines on each side of the material. The material is then place right side facing up and the diagonal edges are stitched together (1cm seam allowance). This is the tricky part though, because you have to move one pressed edge up one column - to create the continuous part of your binding. Please refer to Lauren's book for more detailed instructions.
 


 
Now before you start cutting make sure that you don't cut the columns while holding both triangles together. If you do this, you will end up with continuous binding that looks like a garter!!! Not helpful. So start at one end, with the column that overlaps and only cut through one material layer at a time. Its fiddly the first time you try it but definitely worth it. So now I present my first go at making binding....
 
 
 
 
Now its your turn to share your tips for making binding. In the meantime, to keep up to date on my future projects subscribe to my blog and you will receive my posts by email. So much easier!

 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Great tips on making binding! I still haven't attempted it!

    x Allison @ www.thetallmamastyle.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Allison hope they come in handy. Making it yourself is a bit fiddly but it creates a nice finish.

      Delete
  2. I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. Best Dehumidifier

    ReplyDelete