Friday 15 May 2015

Tilly and the Button's Clemence Skirt

So I decided to take up sewing last year and looked into some Introduction to Sewing classes. After a very bad experience, I returned to the internet to discover that there were some fantastic bloggers out there with sewing books that included great sewing patterns for beginners. 

The first blog I stumble across was Tilly and the Buttons. After buying Tilly's book Love at First Stitch, I then ventured onto my first ever sewing project the Clemence Skirt (which is in Tilly's book). The pattern for this skirt is self drafted and very easy to do. As a beginner I found quite easy to do as Tilly provides great instructions and pictures in her book. Here is my finished product.

My Clemence Skirt
 

The only problem was that measured myself slightly incorrectly which resulted in the skirt being too big. (That's way its photographed on the floor) However, it was a great starter project and I learnt so many new techniques, such as French seams, gathering, inserting an invisible zipper and stitching in the ditch. 
 

My French Seams

The material is a Japanese butterfly quilting cotton from Lincraft. You can see the butterfly pattern in the photo below, however, the photo does not do the material justice. I love anything Japanese and so I am often drawn to Japanese material. I believe this material is still available at Lincraft in their oriental range.
 

If you have sewn the Clemence skirt before or a similar project, please send me a picture of your skirt to offyousew@gmail.com 


 

 

2 comments:

  1. Your skirt looks great! I often make things too big for myself (I seem to think I'm much larger than I am!) and end up taking them in or remaking them altogether!

    Allison @ thetallmamastyle.blogspot.com
    ReplyDelete

    Replies



    1. Hi Allison, thanks so much, I was really happy with how the skirt turned out, except for the size. I am thinking of investing in a dress form to help prevent future sizing issues. Do you have a dress form you can recommend? Juliet
      Delete


2 comments: